- The Extended Essay is a requirement of the IB Diploma Program completed within TOK (Theory of Knowledge). The project begins during Junior year and is completed during Senior year.
- It is an independent, self directed 4,000 word research project that provides students with practical preparation for undergraduate research and an opportunity to investigate a topic of interest to them which is also related to one of the student's six Diploma Program subjects.
- During the Extended Essay process, students are supported by a Supervisor who guides and advises them with their research and writing.
- Students develop skills in formulating an appropriate research question, engage in personal exploration of a topic, communication of ideas and developing an argument.
- The topic of the Extended Essay must be selected from an approved list of IB subject areas.