Service as Action
What is Service as Action?
Service as Action (SA) is a requirement for the IB Middle Years Programme. The IB believes that action (learning by doing and experiencing) is key to the learning process and that through SA you'll become more confident, self-directed learners.
SA also assists you in developing personal understandings, a sense of self, and your role and responsibilities in your communities.
There is no one-size fits all approach to SA. You may find yourself taking action by:
- feeling empathy towards others
- making small-scared changes to your behavior
- undertaking large or more significant projects
- acting on your own
- acting collaboratively
- taking physical action
- suggesting modifications to an existing system to the benefit of all involved
- lobbying people in more influential positions to act
The opportunities for SA are endless. It's important for you to see SA as a way to invest in your own personal and academic growth.
2021-2022 Academic Year SAHandbook
Who has to do SA?
Year 4 (9th grade) students in MYP
Year 5(10th grade) students in MYP
SA is a requirement for students in MYP